Salvador del Solar (born 1970 in Lima) is an actor, director, and conference speaker. He was President of the Council of Ministers (2019) and Minister of Culture of Peru (2017).
He graduated from Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú with a law degree in 1994 and received a Master’s degree in International Relations with a specialization in Communication and Intercultural Negotiation from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University in New York in 2002. He was a Visiting Fellow at the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University in 2018.
He contributes to the opinion page of the Americas edition of the newspaper El País.
He wrote and directed the film “Magallanes” (2015), which won the Cine en Construcción Award at the San Sebastián Film Festival, was released internationally at the Toronto International Film Festival, and was nominated for the Goya Award for Best Ibero-American Film by the Academy of Cinematographic Arts and Sciences of Spain (2016). It also received 5 nominations for the Platino Awards for Ibero-American Film that year. He directed the series Los Prisioneros (2022), about the iconic Chilean rock band.
Among his acting roles, he has appeared in the films “Doble” (2016), “El Elefante Desaparecido” (2014), “Saluda al Diablo de mi Parte” (2011) and “Pantaleón y las Visitadoras” (1999); the series “Narcos” (2015), “Comando Élite” (2014), “El Capo” (2012) and “Correo de Inocentes” (2011); and the theater productions “Yo, Cinna (el poeta)” (2021), “El Hombre Almohada” (2006), “Enrique V” (2005), “Rey Lear” (2000), and “Séptimo Cielo” (1996).
Salvador del Solar Labarthe is a Peruvian actor, director, and conference speaker, born in Lima in 1970. He has been President of the Council of Ministers (2019) and Minister of Culture (2017) of Peru. He was a Visiting Fellow at the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University in 2018. He has also been a column contributor for the opinion section of El Comercio newspaper (Peru) and the Americas edition of El País newspaper in Spain.
He was one of the two directors of the series “Los Prisioneros”, released in 2022 and currently available on the ViX platform.
He wrote and directed the feature film “Magallanes”, released in 2015. The film won the Cine en Construcción Award at the San Sebastián Film Festival, the Audience Awards and Best Actress Award at the Lima Film Festival, and the awards for Best Actress, Best Screenplay, and Best Film at the Huelva Latin American Film Festival in Spain. The film, which had a worldwide release at the Toronto International Film Festival, was nominated for the Best Ibero-American Film at the 30th Goya Awards, presented in 2016 by the Academy of Cinematographic Arts and Sciences of Spain, and received five nominations, including Best Screenplay and Best First Film, at the third edition of the Platino Awards for Ibero-American Film.
He was a professor of the Political Communication course at the Faculty of Sciences and Communication Arts at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (2003-2005). He hosted the political and cultural interview program “Esta Semana” on the cable channel “Canal N” (2003-2004).
He has a Master’s degree in International Relations with a specialization in Communication and Intercultural Negotiation from the Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs at Syracuse University in New York (2002), where he also obtained the Certificate of the Conflict Analysis and Resolution Program – PARC. He is a lawyer, graduated from the Faculty of Law of Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (1994).
He studied acting at the Umbral Acting Training Workshop, directed by master Alberto Isola (1994-1995). Since then, he alternates between theater, television, and film. He gained international fame as an actor for his work in the film “Pantaleón y las Visitadoras”, directed by Francisco Lombardi (1999).
He was part of the national water polo team, both in the junior and adult categories, between 1986 and 1989, representing Peru in various South American and international tournaments. He was captain of the national junior team between 1987 and 1989.
Work as an actor
Television, cable, platforms
- Los Unos y los Otros, character Kafo, directed by Michel Gómez, ATV, 1995.
- Cuchillo y Malú, directed by Aldo Salvini, Iguana Producciones, 1996.
- Malicia, character Antonio, directed by Luis Barrios, Iguana Producciones, 1996.
- Lluvia de Arena, character Orfeo, directed by Michel Gómez, ATV, 1996.
- Escándalo, directors Luis Barrios and Aldo Salvini, Iguana Producciones 1997.
- Apocalipsis, character Talí, el Maestro, directed by Aldo Salvini, Iguana Producciones, 1997.
- Cosas del Amor, character Lucho Salinas, directed by Cusi Barrio, América Producciones, 1998.
- Pobre Diabla, character Andrés Mejía Guzmán, directed by Rubén Gerbasi, América Producciones, 2000.
- Decisiones, various episodes, RTI Televisión for Telemundo, 2005.
- Amores de Mercado, character Eulalio Ocando, directors Rodolfo Hoyos and Andrés Bierman, RTI Televisión for Telemundo, 2006.
- Sin Vergüenza, character Julián Gutiérrez, directors Rodolfo Hoyos and Andrés Bierman, RTI Televisión for Telemundo, 2007.
- La Traición, character Arturo de Linares, directors Santiago Vargas, Mauricio Cruz, and Agustín Restrepo, RTI Televisión for Telemundo, 2008.
- Episode “Cruce de Rutas”, character Roque, directed by Juan Felipe Orozco, Fox Telecolombia, 2008.
- Episode “Broma Pesada”, character Benítez, directed by Riccardo Gabrielli, Fox Telecolombia, 2008.
- Episode “Aficionados”, character Miguel, directed by Felipe Martínez Amador, Fox Telecolombia, 2008.
- Sin Retorno, Episode “Testigo Ocular”, character Rafael, directed by Riccardo Gabrielli, Fox Telecolombia, 2008.
- Regreso a la Guaca, character Mayor Álvaro Loaiza, directed by Rodrigo Triana, CMO Producciones, 2009.
- El Enano, character Vinnie Santa María, directed by Eduardo Mendoza, JC Films, 2009.
- Correo de Inocentes, character Sergio Gaviria, directors Klych López and Felipe Cano, CMO Producciones, 2011.
- Amor y Miedo, character Simón Oviedo, directors Germán Porras and Andrés Bierman, Caracol TV, 2011.
- El Capo 2, character Rubén Castro, directed by Lilo Vilaplana, Fox Telecolombia, 2012.
- Comando Elite, character Colonel Ignacio Saravia, directors Jorge Alí Triana and Rodrigo Triana, Dramax Producciones for RCN, 2013.
- Cumbia Ninja, character Fiscal Bravo, directors Felipe Martínez Amador and Riccardo Gabrielli, Fox Telecolombia, 2015.
- Amor de Madre, character Esteban Bermúdez, directed by Francisco Álvarez, Del Barrio producciones for América TV, 2015.
- Narcos, character Father Sobrino, directed by Guillermo Navarro, Dynamo for Netflix, 2015.
- El Retorno de Lucas, character Reynaldo Díaz, directors Marco Scandolari and Gerardo Herrera, Telefe and América TV, 2016.
- 2091, character Gorlero, directed by Felipe Martínez Amador, Fox Telecolombia, 2016.
- Hall Dams, 1994
- Somewhere in the Heart, 1994
- Hamlet, 1995
- Seventh Heaven, 1996
- Pretty Eyes Ugly Pictures, 1996
- The Finger in the Eye, 1997
- How do you like it, 1998
- KING LEAR, 1999
- The Great Theater of the World, 1999
- Indecent Acts, The Three Oscar Wilde Trials, 2004
- Henry V, 2005
- THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, 2005
- THE PILLOW MAN, 2006
- The Flea in the Ear, 2009
- The Lieutenant of Inishmore, 2010
- I, Cinna (the poet), 2021
- At midnight and a half, character Sebastián, directors Mariana Rondón and Marité Ugás, Sudaca Producciones, 1998.
- Courage, character Humberto, director Alberto Durant, 1998.
- Pantaleon and the visitors, character Pantaleon Pantoja, director Francosco Lombardi, América Producciones, 1999.
- The Elusive Good, character Carracedo or Carbajal, director Augusto Tamayo, 1999.
- Stray Bullet, character Piero, director Aldo Salvini, Iguana Productions, 2000.
- The Robbery, character Raúl, director Paolo Agazzi, 2003.
- I die for Muriel, character Felix, director Augusto Cabada, Iguana Producciones, 2004.
- Pirates in Callao, 2005.
- The Watercolorist, directed by Daniel Rodíguez, 2008.
- Write to me: Postcards to Copacabana, character Felipe, director Thomas KronThaler, 2009.
- Regards to the devil, character Morís, director Juan Felipe Orozco, Sanantero Films, 2011.
- The Disappeared Elephant, character Edo Celeste, director Javier Fuentes León, El Calvo Films, Dynamo Productions, 2014.
- Double, character Fede, director Felipe Martínez Amador, Projectile, 2017.
- Autogol, character Ismael Enrique Monroy, director Gabriel González, Paramount, 2022.
- Magallanes (scriptwriter and director), Péndulo Films, Proyectil, Cepa, Tondero, 2015,
- The Prisoners, Movistar, 2022.
- Since 2017, Salvador offers conferences on topics related to culture, leadership, citizenship, sense of purpose and professional vocation.
- Some of his lectures can be seen on his website: www.salvadordelsolar.org